6.24.2010

Unknown Wedding Gifts

Ale and I are so blessed. We have been married for approximately six months. We both have great families. Our friends are amazing. The love and support we have received has been phenomenal. And, the wedding gifts bestowed upon us were pretty fabulous too! We buckled down and wrote all my thank-you notes ASAP. However,  I am still in a pickle: what do I do about the wedding gifts with unknown givers? Belk does not keep a record of the giver. Boo! So, I am playing sleuth. For example, the pictured potted planter was given to us at the wedding sans card --- I absolutely love love love it. I think it must be one of my friends because (1) it is very Lilly-esque, (2) it monogrammed with my married name, and (3) it is fun, like my friends!!! The other unknown gifts include an ice cream maker, pieces from our everyday china pattern, and other items we registered for. I feel so rude not thanking the gift-giver. So, what do I do!? Xoxo-BLC

PS: I recently mailed a wedding present to a pair of our dear Clemson friends who wed in Charleston and we were unable to attend. Guess who forgot to include a card!?? Me!!! I emailed the couple, apologized, and identified us as the gift-givers of that gift. Pickle, pickle, pickle! :)

10 comments:

  1. Oh no. I don't know what to tell you as I've yet to marry, but maybe post on your facebook or something too that you're thankful for all of your gifts, but some don't have tags and you're not quite sure who deserves the thanks. Otherwise, wait and say it again in a Christmas letter or something.

    Sorry I don't have a better answer.

    Oh, and you're a KD? I didn't know that! I'll have to add you to my KD section of the blog.

    XoXo. AOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would really like to thank you for all your marvelous and lovable gifts... Gifts are the things which adds color to ones happiness!!! Gifts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, that is a tough one! We didn't have that, but I did send a thank you note to a person for the wrong gift! In fact, they didn't even get us a gift, just a card that was attached to another present sans card! That was awkward...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh that pot is precious! Whoever gifted that has fabulous taste just like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. we didn't have anything like that luckily so I have no suggestions! good luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, no! We had that happen, too. I ended up asking a few very close family members discreetly and after a few gosspy parties, they were able to ferret it out for me. Because of this, I now put cards inside wrapping paper so they don't get separated from the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pot! I know this might sound alittle tacky but it is better then not sending a thank you at all, I would email some of your close family members and friends with a description of the gift and ask if any of them know who gave it to you. That way you are not putting pressure on someone who didn't give a gift but you are able to possibly find out who gave it to you. I know in the past if I didn't receive a thank you by a certain point, I would just email the person to make sure they received the gift. That way if our card was separated, they knew who gifted them that item.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This same thing happened to us. What we did was make a list of all the guests and who gave us what. Then we looked at who we did not have a gift attached to and tried to figure it out from there. That helps a lot because then you are only deciding from 2-5 people instead of 150 or so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the last three commenters gave great advice - someone in your circle can discreetly find out who gave the mystery gifts, especially if you can narrow down the list of possible givers. Also the lesson learned for all of us is to put your card inside the gift (which is why those adorable calling cards are so handy)! Finally, shame on Belk! They used to retain the names of purchasers for one year.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that at that point, there's not much you can do! We had a few gifts like this and YEARS after we got married, people mentioned how they never got thank you cards. Once I mentioned that there was no card to ID the giver, they felt kinda sheepish!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Mark