8.09.2011

Letters from Granddad

I lost my granddad today. More than five years ago, I was in the fine jewelry department at Nordstrom when my mom slipped and told me my granddad had cancer. It was the preliminary result and we didn't know details, but that didn't stop the waterfall of tears. The shopgirl behind the counter couldn't feed me tissues fast enough. From there on I started writing to my granddad. And he wrote back. He always said: "if you can write well, you can conquer anything." Here is one of this letters to me:
He always told me: "do one thing and do it well." He lived by that motto. As a tenured professor at Duke, he loved teaching, mentoring, and encouraging students. I could read the countless letters from his students spanning decades and decades thanking him for the difference he made in their life. He made an enormous difference in mine. He will always be my hero. My granddad's life was a life well lived. I am blue and miss him more than words. Yet, I am certain of his salvation and find great peace, love, and comfort from God knowing I get to squeeze his neck again in heaven. Until then, I aim to live life well just as he did!!! Xoxo-BLC

16 comments:

  1. Loves- Just read this and started crying. So sorry for yout loss. Sending my prayers your way. Love ya and miss you bunches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just teared up. so sorry for your loss!

    i think it's great you have his letters to go back and read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute you have written here. Thank you for sharing his letter with us. How wonderful is his touch with the language! You have some wonderful memories. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending huge hugs and prayers for you and your family BLC! What an amazing grandfather to write you such wonderful letters to treasure even after he is no longer here on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry about your granddad. The letters you have from him are beautiful and definitely something you will cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What heartfelt letters you have to remember your granddad by. This is a beyond gorgeous letter, thank you for sharing a piece of your very special relationship with us. Thinking and praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about this, but what a beautiful letter. No doubt he is watching over you still.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sorry for your lost. The letter is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post made me cry; what a beautiful, heartfelt letter from your grandfather. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing. This letter is very touching, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so lucky to have that letter, what a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so, so sorry for your loss. I lost my granddaddy, Hop, almost five years ago and I still think of him everyday. My prayers and thoughts are with you. xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for sharing the letter... i remember you talking about your granddad when we were in high school and when you found out i was going to Duke. you definitely had a special bond and I am sure he will be missed. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post at this most difficult time. Hold on to his memories and that most precious letter forever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How special! His letter had me in tears. I am so sorry for your lose but I know this letter along with your memories are something that will comfort you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  16. BLC,
    You are a living legacy to the fine man that your Granddad was. You do many things well, not just one! He wrote of the things that make me so proud to call you sister and I am so glad that you have the letters to be reminded of how proud he was of you. Loving you today and always,
    E

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Mark