5.07.2010

Old Lady Red Lipstick

My two favorite memories of my grandmother involve cake and lipstick. What could be better!??? As a child, I remember my parents traveling a good bit for work and my grandmother looking after me. My grandmother would always bake a cake. Then we would nibble on the cake breakfast, lunch, and dinner!!! As a child, eating cake for breakfast was better than a day off from school. And playing hookie from school wasn't an option when Grammie was in town! Before dropping me off at the schoolhouse, my grandmother would always put a dab of lipstick on me then gloss her own lips. I never saw her bare lips because she always wore a fabulous color of Revlon lipstick. And, in a pinch, she used that same lipstick on her cheeks. I use to think of Revlon lipstick as "old lady red lipstick" but today I wear the same on my lips (and sometimes my cheeks too!). Revlon's "Hot Coral" and "Lilac Champagne" are always within my reach. I know she is getting older and frailer, but my memory of her will forever be timeless: she is stylish, graceful, and whimsical. When I eat cake or wear lipstick, I think of her. Thanks for letting me be your "baby angel" Grammie!!!! I love you and I miss you. See you next week! Xoxo-BLC

15 comments:

  1. you make me smile, playing with Nanny's lipsticks when I was little was one of my many favorite things about her! and I'm going to run out and grab the old lady coral!

    xoox

    kHm

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sweet! I love things that remind my of women in my family! That's a great color of lipstick by the way! Hope you have a great day! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love grandmother stories since I wasn't fortunate to know any of mine. What wonderful memories and you'll always have sense-memory makers at hand with the lipsticks and cake.

    This is off-topic but I remember my 13th birthday, when I asked my parents for Revlon's "Fire and Ice" lipstick (oh yes, it had to be that particular shade) and a baseball glove. We laugh about that all the time because it so perfectly illustrates how I was standing on the precipice between tomboy and teenage young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My NeNe always had on Estee Lauders Power Pink lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are fun memories to have!

    my grandma's christmas wrapping paper always smells like moth balls. it's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precious!! Your Grammie sounds SO cute! I love that she would bake a cake and let you eat it for breakfast!! My Granny on my Dad's side used to always wear bright blue eyeshadow by Covergirl. I swear I still think of her every single time I go near the Covergirl products!

    My Nannie on my Mom's side always made me bacon and tomato sandwiches for breakfast with Duke's mayo and served it with a cup of whole milk! This was the only time I EVER got whole milk or this sandwich. Whenever I visit it is an unspoken rule that she wakes me up with her special breakfast sandwich and a cup of whole milk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wear lipstick too! I feel that most people our age only wear gloss-- but I always have Revlon's "Love that Red" in my purse! My other favorite is "Cherries in the Snow"! Your grandmother sounds simply fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet post! My grandmother wore that exact same lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh R, that is so sweet. I have two baby angels that I want to remember sweet things about me. I adore this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it, especially the cake 3x a day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post reallllly warmed my heart! I was so so close to my grandmother; she passed away in 2008 from cancer. Not a day goes by that I do not think of her or think of things that I would like to talk to her about to see what she thinks. I do know that I will see her again...but it still doesnt ease the pain. Every day you have with the one's you love are precious so make the moments last! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Grammy always wears Red Revlon Lipstick too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the best lipstick in the present market is Revlon lipstick. No other brand can dominate Revlon, in terms of service or quality. For more information about Revlon lipsticks go here
    Revlon Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sweet! Grandmother's always have the best classic beauty tips (and best jewelry!).

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Mark